Updated: Sep 14, 2021
Do-it-yourself projects are in vogue these days. You can find advice online for everything from investing in crypto-currency to tearing down the living room wall. When considering the cost of moving, it’s natural to wonder if real estate commissions are one way to save money, but it would be a mistake. A good real estate agent might make it seem easy, but the fact is that selling your own home could actually cost you thousands of dollars.
5 Reasons You Shouldn’t Sell Your Home Without An Agent
1. The Safety Of Your Home And Family Is A Priority - Real Estate Agents control access to your home.
2. Most Serious Buyers Start Their Search Online - A professional listing area will market your home aggressively online, which is where the buyers are searching.
3. The Buyer Might Not Be Qualified - A real estate agent knows how to qualify a buyer and what to look for with lender letters. Selling your home on your own risks wasted time with an unqualified buyer.
4. You Don’t Know How To Negotiate Properly - Every aspect of a real estate transaction is negotiable; you don’t have the experience to know what to negotiate to get the best deal.
5. You Could Expose Yourself To Liability - Required disclosures and paperwork for a home sale is extensive; unless you plan to use an attorney, you could miss critical disclosures and expose yourself to financial harm.
Finally, more often than not, sellers net more when they use an agent than when they try to do it themselves. In addition to selling faster, a professional agent knows how to properly price and promote your home, ensuring you get the best possible sales price and terms.